Skip to main content

Success at Last at Avoiding Holiday Crowds

 A camper is doing everybody a favor to check out potential campsites before a national holiday.  It takes quite a bit of skill, experience, and luck to avoid weekend/holiday crowds.  I have put a lot of work into it on previous holidays and then seen it blow up in my face.  'No good deed goes unpunished.'

There are specific criteria for making this work, but the most important idea is to put yourself into the mindset of the mass-tourist, and then multiply everything by negative one.  Avoid:

1.  Lakes.

2.  Loop roads.

3.  Iconic viewscapes of red arches, national parks, tourist name brands of any kind.  Anything with name recognition.

4.  Colorado.

5.  Proximity to huge urban hellholes such as Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas/St.George, and Boise.

But I have always done that, and still been burned.  I hope I am not jinxing myself to declare victory in eastern Oregon this year.  (And that doesn't mean Bend.)


Livin' the dream!  This photo was taken many years ago in Leadville, CO.  Who knows what it is like today.


Comments

We only made that mistake once and we regretted it for months.
Be Safe and Enjoy the 4th your way.

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy, I don't know how to respond because I don't understand what "that" in your "that mistake" refers to?