Skip to main content

Cooler Denser Forests

 Ponderosa forests have a large fan club in the camping community, and I am a member.  But in mid-summer, the shade in these forests is not quite good enough.  This makes a guy appreciate the thicker shade of spruce forests.  I can't believe I said that.

Many campers prefer the panoramic views of more open land to the locked-down viewscape of a thick spruce forest.  Then, when they do come out into the open, it is really fun:


All in all, it is a good thing that one month is different from the others, and that one forest isn't just like all the others.

It was also fun to come back into Idaho.  I begged for mercy at the local grocery store: could they spare a couple extra grocery bags?  I had used up all my bags in Oregon and I use grocery bags as trash bags!  Why is it environmentally-correct to have to buy larger trash bags to dispose of kitchen waste? 

It is also nice to be rid of the 10 cent deposit on bottles and cans.  I want to support the Oregon law, but the recycling machines are usually broken or there are too many people lined up at the unbroken machines.  So you just learn to give up on getting your money back. 

Comments