Skip to main content

Playing Around With Videos

 I am trying to keep an open mind about videos in this blog.  Is there really a need for moving pictures when hardly anything in a landscape moves?  Still, it is fun to play around with new software.

The first time I saw footage from a helmet-mounted camera on a mountain biker, I was dazzled.  But after the novelty wore off, it seemed that the trail could wiggle left, wiggle right, go up, or go down.  Nowadays I never watch such videos. 

But it is impossible to shoot videos from a moving bicycle with one hand on the smartphone and one on the handlebar!  As I found out.  No wonder the GoPro camera was invented

There are few outdoor experiences more wonderful than a good breeze in the forest on a warm summer day.  But does a moving picture really add something better than words or a still photograph?   




Despite being the end of their season, a few wild roses are still opening up:


Mountains and plants aren't great subjects for a moving picture, but clouds could be if you speed up the playback.  Animals could be great subjects for a moving picture, but you must be very lucky to get wildlife to cooperate.  Most dog owners would be happier making videos of their dogs:







Comments

Steve said…
I guess I am a non-video person. They are easy to make with my iPhone but rarely do. Some of my puppy videos are funny, or when the bloodhound is baying at squirrels but even after those I don't have a strong urge to video. I guess I could video things as I put them away so I could remember where I put them, but then I would forget the file name to help me find that specific video. A cool breeze in the forest sounds good to me. 94° humidity at 7:28am is not a good way to start the day. LOL
Steve, it helps to relabel the video/photo with adjectives that are the first things that come to mind when you are thinking of an image. Well chosen categories/folders help, too.

I am interested in dog park videos. Went to the official dog park in Baker City OR this morning and there wasn't a single customer.

In the trees, and at 5300', my trailer inside temperature tops out around 85 F, with low humidity and usually a breeze. It is 103 F in town. Now you probably hate me!
Steve said…
No hate ... sounds good to me. I have my 84,000 photos in their own folders named by me, not Apple. So I could probably figure out something to name the videos. Was it too hot for customers at the dog park? I remember the long conversation we had that afternoon in the Lowes parking lot in Sierra Vista AZ ... good time.
Yes, I remember that conversation, too, Steve.

I don't think it was too hot for customers at the dog park. The whole town doesn't seem to get out of bed until 10 am.