Skip to main content

You Can Still Get a Flat Fixed for Free?

I get tires from Walmart, not just for the low price, but because a traveler likes to get tires rotated and flats fixed for free, so the tire store needs the geographical reach of your travel habits.  But of course it takes some luck to have a Walmart tire department close to your flat tire.  How far are you going to drive to save $10 on getting a flat fixed?

$10?  Who am I kidding?   Actually I expected $25 as the new price.   There was a Les Schwab in this eastern Oregon agricultural community, but didn't they stop fixing flat tires for free, several years ago?

I sprayed soapy water on the tire valve and saw bubbles, and told the tire guy about it.  They did fix my leaking tire valve for free, even though it was "somebody else's" tire.  I was shocked.  

Outside the grocery store, at an Oregon Trail visitor kiosk, a fellow was panhandling.  But he understood his customer: it was a rural town after all.  So his sign said, "Need Work."  I gave him the money that Les Schwab just saved me.

 

Comments

Ivan said…
I accidentally ran over some trash on the highway near Joshua Tree last month, and got three flat tires out of it; one on the truck and two on the fifth wheel. Manage to pump them all up enough to drive to the Discount Tire in Yucca Valley - where they fixed all three for FREE! (They got tipped!)
Ivan, you didn't say whether the tires were bought somewhere other than Discount Tire, but I am assuming so, or it wouldn't have impressed you so much.