Skip to main content

A River Runs Through It

I was experiencing a rare delight for me by day-camping next to the Salmon River in Idaho.  The river was flowing so fast for this time of year.  It must be all the rain we've had over the last two weeks.  Better yet, I was taking an afternoon nap to celebrate the last trailer repair problem.  (The welding shop guy had wired the electrical brakes incorrectly, shorting out and damaging the brake controller unit under the dash in my tow vehicle.)

I heard some angry yelling and screaming coming from the other side of the river.  But it wasn't the other side -- it was coming from the river itself.  A father and son were floating down the river in flotation jackets and they were trying to make their way to shore, right outside my trailer door.  The father was screaming about hitting his heel against a rock.

But they made it out of the river, and he was able to walk.  Once that little excitement was over I thought about what a great idea they had.  They were having a little adventure in the river instead of just looking at it.  Their activity did not require an expensive bulky kayak or a boat with an engine that always needs repair.  Good for them!

Comments