Skip to main content

The Sleeping Season is Over

 Why do most people sleep so much better in cold weather?  From time to time, I preach about not confusing humble pleasures with lackluster ones.  Good, cold weather sleeping is one of those pleasures, humble in the sense that we seem to share it with critters.  I'm sorry the sleeping-season is mostly over.

To extend this season, it is important to keep the feet cold.  I love burrowing under a thick sleeping bag, and only allowing a couple inches around the nose to go uncovered.

The best part of the snuggle season is when the Little Cute One jumps into my bed, because her doggie bed on the floor is too cold.  This usually happens at Snuggle o'clock, 3 a.m.  I feel sorry for people who haven't experienced the bliss of hugging a freshly-laundered poodle in a cold bed.

But we've had good sleeping weather since October -- a half a year.  So I'm not complaining or being ungrateful.  Besides, Mother Nature usually compensates when she takes away one goodie.  It is so pleasurable to take an afternoon siesta and a full-body (navy) shower, now that the weather is warmer and the days are longer.  And breezes have become an ally.

From the archive: my first poodle, Pancho, and Coffee Girl snuggle in front of the heater.

The new kid and the old kid snuggling in a cold bed.


Comments