Skip to main content

Some Nice Surprises With Canyons and Flowers

 (Southwestern New Mexico.)  I seem to remember driving across this river last year, when it was completely dry!  

"Are you sure about this, Pops?"


"I ain't no water dog, and I ain't doin' it."

We biked upland, away from the river.  The ground and grass seemed like ordinary NM ranch country.  It was harshly tawny -- mostly dry grass with a few stickery things.  But just under the surface was lava/basalt.  

Then we rode by a surprisingly dramatic little canyon, with vertical rocky walls.  I'm not sure what the name is, or whether it even has one.  Did a stream carve this 100 foot deep slot through the basalt, or was there a crack in the basalt layer that the stream found an easy attack through?

I had to bring the bike and the Little Cute One down to the edge of the gorge to see if the noise I heard was wind or flowing water.  It was water falling over a small waterfall.  I was looking down into a private micro-paradise, with a waterfall, sycamores, and cottonwoods.  How sweet and seductive little surprises can be!

These flowers are open in the morning. What about before sunrise?  They totally close up in mid-day.


Comments

  1. That flower is a Desert Primrose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michael H. Maybe Wikipedia or somebody will explain why they open in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.