Skip to main content

Enraptured With Reefs

 (Central Utah.)  I took the Little Cute One on an off-leash romp yesterday.   She howls when she sees a rabbit.  She acts like a little hound dog, instead of a miniature poodle mix.  It took a few minutes, but I realized we were walking around on a reef-wannabe or baby reef.  Reefs seem more interesting than most geologic structures.

In contrast, think of sedimentary layers being deposited at the bottom of an ocean, unimaginably slowly.  It is hard to get interested in that.  We want geology to be a movie, not a "stasis."

And maybe that is why reefs are so interesting:  extend your fingers on both hands, and ram the fingertips of both hands together.  The fingers crumple upwards.  That is how reefs formed.  Even if the reef is only 30 feet high, when you walk around on it, you imagine motion.



Comments

And reef formations happen all over the USA I have found.
Barney, I did not know that reef formations are found all over the USA. I guess I need to run to Wikipedia to do some homework!