I have always like walking or biking on ground that is half-mouldering leaves. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because so many years in western states has turned leaves into exotic, hard-to-find miracles of nature.
But what about the opposite: when dirt becomes leaves? You could almost think of crypto-biotic soil as an example of that. But I was thinking of the paper-thin lamellas of sedimentary rock that are found where I am currently camping in central Utah. Here is one that is living dangerously:
Let's look at one without the dog:
At times you see thin layers somewhat earlier in their natural history. (Not really. But it is fun to think so.)
![]() |
| Look for the diving board in the right-center of the photo. |
Maybe this sort of things seems interesting because it stimulates a human being to imagine the inorganic as organic, the static as the moving, the lifeless as the living. After all, how much looking at stuff does a human being need? At some point they must "see" something for it to remain interesting.



Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.