Skip to main content

Unusual Animals in an Oregon Forest

 What was that thing in the middle of the road? My dog, Q.t.Ï€, and I were biking back up the hill, to come back to camp.  Was it a dead animal, a piece of wood debris, or a rock? Actually it was a live rabbit -- a huge one!  It was medium brown in color, except for white 'socks' on its feet.

A rabbit like that had to be somebody's pet.  I couldn't decide on what breed it was, even after doing some rabbit homework on the internet.

How would a pet rabbit, suddenly 'born free', survive a forest in Oregon?  Are the predators around here that incompetent?

__________________________________

On the ride I also talked to one of the forestry workers.  The national forest hired a private company to thin a young forest here.  They were cutting down trees smaller than 4" in diameter with a chain saw, and then manually piling up the debris in big mounds of slash.

In another location they were using a machine to gather up the debris.  A hunter going by told me they will probably use a forest mulching machine.  (They weren't 'logging', but merely thinning the forest.)   If you want to watch some entertaining videos, just look up "forestry mulcher."

But the video shows the mulcher working in a boulder-free area. How could a mulcher survive the rocky West?

Anyway, this represents a fantasy-come-true for me. The mulcher can even shred stumps!  For people who have watched the movie, "Fargo", let's just say the actor Steve Buscemi should avoid the forest mulchers!

Remember the ending of the movie "Fargo?"

Comments

Lee said…
That sounds suspiciously like a snowshoe hare. All too soon, it will be pure white. But be careful: you remember what happened to Monte Python on the quest for the grail.
Thanks for the tip, Lee. I did my internet homework and now believe it was a snowshoe hare. I was not afraid of me or the bike, but my little dog went bonkers. That scared the hare off.