Skip to main content

The Desert Screams

Real rain drops, on the metal roof of my camper. Ordinarily it is not a sound to look forward to. But it is, in 2020/21. The Fake News on the weather channels said that we got a quarter of an inch. I don't believe it. But we got at least 0.05" which is big news in Arizona.

Listening to the rain drops on the roof made me think how important it is to be receptive to natural things. Otherwise, you are just stuck as a scenery tourist.

By chance I was reading a short history, "The Romantic Revolution," by Tim Blanning. The Romantics weren't all wrong: we do need to be sensitive to the world. Yes, it is subjective and experiential. But what would you prefer: dry facts, a pile of statistics, or algebraic equations?

In the morning Coffee Girl and I went out for a walk. The desert was certainly different. The camera helps a little bit in experiencing how special things are.

From sound to sight, we proceed. But of course after a rain, it is smell that is truly special. I guess water is evaporating from the vegetation, with some other chemicals mixed in, which gives it a strong odor?

Think of the odor as the desert's scream of joy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was told by a rangerette at Joshua tree n. P. That the smell is from the creosote bush. Somehow rain releases that odor.
That is what I too have heard, about the creosote bush. It is surprising how much I look forward to the smell even though it isn't a "pretty" smell. We don't think that way with sounds and sights.