Skip to main content

RV Vlogs and the Mundane

I must be turning into a sweet little old man. I deliberately drove through Quartzsite, AZ during the madness of its annual crowdfest in late January. Rather than scowl at everybody, it seemed entertaining to me. Anyway, I drove a loop around the town, and made a game out of it: did I know a clever way to get from A to B?

The trick to doing this is to renounce certain driving habits, such as left-hand turns. Also, there is a relatively uncrowded freeway interchange on the east side of town.

But there is a more fundamental trick: simply renounce excessive expectations about human beings, and your frustrations end. 

I used to make fun of the mundaneness and banality of RV travel blogs. But that hardly matters now. It seems that blogs (that you read) have become passé and have been superseded by vlogs, their YouTube equivalent. It might also be that travel bloggers have retired from traveling due to age.

Have you watched some of these vlogs? I put one on pause and went to the thesaurus to look up 'banal.'  (It's a fine word, but there are so many ways to pronounce it that perhaps people avoid using the word.) What a list of synonyms they provide for 'banal'! But the word 'mundane' seems to capture the essence of vlogs even better.

With raucous music playing in the background, the vlogger will show themself frying eggs in a skillet, for breakfast. I mean, like, wow duuuude, that is, like, so cooool! Somebody needs to make a video of that!

 
Many vloggers start off their YouTube by acting like some sort of amateurish television clown. Or maybe it is the television commercials that they are imitating. But the mundaneness -- "and now we are driving out of the gas station..." -- is astounding.

But shame on me for opposing progress.

Comments

When the Big Tent is open we limit our travels to town.
Personally if it's not written I don't look at it. Vlogs are not my thing.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy, but you didn't say WHY "Vlogs are not my thing."