I wasn't expecting it, but there it was. A long aluminum ladder slid out of a pickup truck in front of me on I-15 near St. George, UT. It slid fast on the pavement, so there would be several seconds before I could run over it. But what if it flipped up onto the windshield! With any luck, it would stay one lane to my left, and I wouldn't run over it at all.
But pavement isn't completely uniform, so the sliding ladder was moving over towards my lane. I slowed down and moved to the right. No disaster occurred.
How fitting and proper it was that this near-accident involved construction equipment near St. George, where half the economy is in the building trades.
Everything I will say about St. George is colored by the fact that I knew the town before the population explosion started in the first years of the new millennium. Today, only the landscape is still recognizable.
I doubt that it is much of a housing bargain anymore, unless you are retiring from a giant city, probably on the Coast. I suppose homeless people and young people living in vans are not that many years away.
Or maybe the real estate industry will evolve in this direction:
This structure was a little too sophisticated for a treehouse built by a couple 10-year-old boys out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Maybe it is a mother-in-law's apartment; they are said to have strong Family Values in Utah.
Notice the window air conditioner on the left side. How did those ten-year-olds carry it up the ladder to the treehouse? And why did they bother?
Yes, it is true that America's favorite retirement mecca has 5 months of triple digit heat in the summer. But it is cool compared to Phoenix or Vegas. And after all, it is 'only a Dry Heat.'
But pavement isn't completely uniform, so the sliding ladder was moving over towards my lane. I slowed down and moved to the right. No disaster occurred.
How fitting and proper it was that this near-accident involved construction equipment near St. George, where half the economy is in the building trades.
Everything I will say about St. George is colored by the fact that I knew the town before the population explosion started in the first years of the new millennium. Today, only the landscape is still recognizable.
I doubt that it is much of a housing bargain anymore, unless you are retiring from a giant city, probably on the Coast. I suppose homeless people and young people living in vans are not that many years away.
Or maybe the real estate industry will evolve in this direction:
This structure was a little too sophisticated for a treehouse built by a couple 10-year-old boys out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Maybe it is a mother-in-law's apartment; they are said to have strong Family Values in Utah.
Notice the window air conditioner on the left side. How did those ten-year-olds carry it up the ladder to the treehouse? And why did they bother?
Yes, it is true that America's favorite retirement mecca has 5 months of triple digit heat in the summer. But it is cool compared to Phoenix or Vegas. And after all, it is 'only a Dry Heat.'

Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.