Skip to main content

A Storm on the 'Sagebrush Sea'

Aren't "blue northers" supposed to happen in Texas? Wow, we had one come through last night. No wonder this town is called "Hurricane." Perhaps we should adopt the Spanish word for storm, 'la tormenta.' Experiencing this thing at 10 p.m. reminds me to stop complaining about howling winds on a typical afternoon in the Southwest. 


Last night, the wind noise and trailer-rocking made it difficult to sleep. Even a little scary.

It was humbling, too.  Lately I have gotten hooked on Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon Tales" series of historical fiction, taking place at the time of Alfred the Great, when the island of Britain was torn between Christian Anglo-Saxons and pagan Danes. Every now and then, the main character is forced by circumstances to backslide into "Viking mode."

Sea adventures and daring-do tend to make me flutter my eyelashes. This is a bit exaggerated with me because my grandfather came from a Baltic island of Sweden, served time as a cabin boy in the Baltic on a firewood-hauler, and told me that his town back in the "old country" had a Viking graveyard.

But based on my performance last night, how would I survive -- let alone sleep through -- a storm at sea? 

As a comfort-seeking American consumer, I will probably run to Amazon and buy stabilizers for the trailer. Sigh, what wimps we have become! 

This experience is doubly humbling because I used to go through high winds cheerfully, compared to most travelers. But getting blasted almost every afternoon this summer as a campground host in the high 'sagebrush sea' of Colorado has beaten me into submission. 

On a more cheerful note, I was surprised that my neighbor's awning survived the blue norther.


Perhaps is was because he was oriented parallel to the wind. But it is possible the new designs of awnings show that the RV industry is making genuine progress.

Comments

XXXXX said…


You're just getting old.

No shame in that. I'm older than you.

George