Skip to main content

What to Do When You Murder Another Camera?

Recently my camera 'paid the ultimate sacrifice, in the line of duty,' during a mountain bike crash. That is not good news, but there is an opportunity in it. It is a chance to think about whether I should even bring a camera. What exactly am I trying to accomplish? What is the benefit of photography?

And if I do decide to get another camera, should it be one that is strong in macro photography (that is, close-ups). I find macro photography more interesting than bar-coded  landscape postcards.

Appreciating the visual arts has been a tough slog for me, but it can be made to work. I have slowly learned to appreciate good cinematography, that is, the telling of a story with moving pictures. Cinematography is what makes a movie different than a photographic record of two people standing in a room talking at each other.

I've also learned to appreciate still photographs (or even cartoons) as visual metaphors. It has become a habit to google "photos of X", and then choose one to visually express the theme of a new blog post. And it makes so much sense to "steal" photographs that are already in existence, and not doing anyone any good anymore.

If it is true that landscape photography is completely worn out, and therefore, pointless; and if it is true that macrophotography interests me, then what camera do I need?

I find very little information on the internet that helps me decide.


 

Comments

OneMansJunk said…
CAMKIX - have fun with your phone. Went to the Zoo last week and the animals and guys with 2 ft. long lens were laughing. But got a lot of great shots. Hey $17-- who gets the last laugh!

https://www.amazon.com/CamKix-Camera-Lens-Compatible-iPhone/dp/B00PGTQVLM/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PGTQVLM&pd_rd_r=3e762da0-226e-11e9-b177-15559c9dc0fd&pd_rd_w=8HEnr&pd_rd_wg=ikjVM&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=5SMR1MSF6Q5Z5G2M8YTZ&psc=1&refRID=5SMR1MSF6Q5Z5G2M8YTZ
A lens that attaches to a smartphone camera--that is a new option to me! Thanks. But of course it would have to detach easily to be practical.