Skip to main content

Failing to Find a Camera with Aperture Control

Supposedly there are people in this modern world of ours who are "addicted" to internet shopping. I just don't understand...

I thought addictions were moral failings because they held you enslaved to short term pleasures, with the consequences of long term pain.

But internet shopping is not pleasurable, in the short term. Or any term.


How could Amazon bury you under so much useless information, while not putting the user's manual at the top of the screen, in a nice box that you could just click? Do they really think you want to read through all that florid (sales) prose, or read 647 reviews by people who have owned the camera for 3 days?

But, you say, I should be watching reviews on You Tube, instead of reading reviews. Gimme a break! Show me a You Tube reviewer whose idea of useful information consists of something more than, "Ya know, like, wow dude, this is another really coooool feature of this camera..." in every other sentence.

The camera manufacturers themselves are letting me down. I miss the Canons of a few years ago that gave the user (manual) control over the aperture, just by turning a knob on the outside of the camera. 

The lack of this manual control goes a long way to my loss of interest in photography. You really have to think about how a camera works when you adjust the aperture yourself  -- and I am not talking about stepping down into the morass of an on-screen menu, which is hard to see in bright sun, or with old man eyes. Then you push little buttons, inevitably push the wrong button, then try to back up a step, and end up dropping the damn camera onto a rock on the ground, which will probably murder another camera.

When we look at crazy situations when purchasing something, we shouldn't look at technology itself -- it is secondary. We should try to imagine the business model: camera manufacturers know that consumers expect technological marvels at the lowest possible price. So the only way to run the business profitably is to emphasize marking each photograph's GPS location, and facilitate you transferring this to a social media site as quickly as possible.

Then you will be hammered with advertisements, and the manufacturer can actually make a little money. Or they can sucker you into paying a monthly fee for cloud storage of your photographs.

Comments

Bob said…
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, the cameras are out there. And Canon has quite a few.
Anonymous said…
One more reason to leave the camera at home and use your smart phone to take photos.

Chris
Anonymous said…
I have a Canon Power Shot S100. I recommend it. It is a small camera, prob 5 or 6 years old. It has a semi- manual control (will allow me to make "mistakes" with exposures), a custom setting, aperture priority and shutter priority. I used to do low-light flash with motion with it. Was like painting with the camera! Now I do more landscapes. I do not know about macro settings.

My take on why all the settings are not easily discernible is most cameras are marketed for shutterbugs, dilettantes. "Prosumer" market cameras have more features. I asked a salesperson at Best Buy once if a camera did low light flash with long shutter speeds (make the flash be the shutter), he had no idea what I was talking about. Same with sepia settings. I don't like to spend time in front of computer photoshopping. I wanted a camera that did sepia from the settings. Again, they didn't know what I was talking about. Because they aren't photographers, most of them.

Dellaterra
Anonymous, I assume you meant the Canon Powershot SX100; I owned a couple of those in the old days and loved them because of the Aperture Priority setting ON A ROTARY DIAL. But they don't make them anymore, I believe.