Skip to main content

The Songbird in the Grocery Store

(Click on the three short parallel lines in the upper right hand corner for information that used to be in the margin.)

I only had to wait for one customer in the line at the grocery store today, just before I left town. Oddly enough, he started singing quietly as the checkout lady worked through his items. He accompanied a pop music song that was playing over the store's speakers.

At one point he teased the checkout lady about how slow she was, but she joked that she didn't want to finish before the song did. So he went back to his singing. He wasn't showing off. It was quiet and natural singing, and he had a good voice.

When it became my turn, the checkout lady told me I could take over now; but I said I couldn't sing the way that the other fellow did. I am glad that he could probably hear us talk about him.




This is the first time I ever heard a man singing in the checkout line before. Why so? I wonder what an experienced world traveler would say. I'll bet it isn't so rare in Africa, or even mediterranean Europe. But what about Russia or east Asia?

Are Americans not happy enough to sing? Perhaps we are too repressed by the yankee gringo northern European Protestant value system, which makes one slightly ashamed of merely being happy -- and demonstrating it -- without some hard work and money-chasing taking place at the same time.

Who knows? But more power to that guy.

Comments

sooperedd said…
Americans pretty much hate each other now and just seem PO all the time. It seems like it started about 25ish years ago. I think it's a combination of politics, race, media, class issues and finances. It kinda sucks.
I agree with what you said, Sooper Ed, but I think the issue of public singing is separate from that.

By the way, the checkout lady who enjoyed the (white) man's singing was at least half-Indian.
sooperedd said…
Wish I would see/hear more people singing, or just more public displays of happiness.

Maybe in our modern "culture" public displays of happiness are looked down upon. People wear the "I'm so busy" "I'm so stressed out" "I have so much to do" etc. mantras as a badge of importance. I just wonder why and chuckle.
"as a badge of importance..." They do indeed. Great comment, Sooper Edd.
Sweet. Here is a beautiful song by an American Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNvk80XY9s

Sleeping At Last

Saturn

You taught me the courage of stars before you left
How life carries on endlessly, even after death
With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite
How rare and beautiful it is to even exist

I couldn’t help but ask
For you to say it all again
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen
I’d give anything to hear
You say it one more time
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes

I couldn’t help but ask
For you to say it all again
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen
I’d give anything to hear
You say it one more time
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes

With shortness of breath, I’ll explain the infinite
How rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist
Do you know this is the first comment of yours that has been non-political! (grin) I listened to the song. It was excellent.