Skip to main content

Cooling Medicine in the Outdoors

On my first day away from the thermal hell-hole of southwestern Arizona, my dog and I "had coffee" with the famous coffee shop dogs of Patagonia. Then we went for a walk along a rail-to-trail. 



Even though it was late in the morning, it was still cool, thanks to the altitude of 4000 feet and some high clouds. I deliberately under-dressed because I was desperate to be cool.

It worked. I imagined my skin being bathed in a slow-moving miasma with healing properties. And somebody else was miraculously cured as well: my dog, Coffee Girl, had developed a limp back in the desert. I couldn't tell what the cause was. When she hit the dirt trail she was her old self, running along jauntily. 

Perhaps it was the sharp rubble back in the desert. Or the Evil Ones.

Teddy Bear chollas -- they are reproducing!
I too was getting sick of feeling rubble underneath my feet with every other step taken. 

Soon the sun burned through the high clouds. I actually felt happy to have the sun hit my face. That is the ultimate proof of restored health. 

Now the bank of the arroyo was six feet of rich soil, with grass growing on top. But it doesn't make a great photograph. The best things seldom do.

Comments