Skip to main content

A Long Term Love Affair with a Certain Type of Land

While selecting a new tow vehicle I have been aware of the disadvantages of having once worked in the automobile industry. Consider the analogy of four middle-aged male friends, sitting at a cafe after golf. The geography of their table makes for some pleasant and harmless girl-watching, at which all of the men except one consider themselves an expert.

The foot-dragger is a middle-aged, male gynecologist, who has been putting in unusually long hours lately. He tries not to be a "wet blanket" on the discussion, especially after one of the men brags about how "hot" his new girlfriend is. But the best the gynecologist can manage is a condescending smile for the sake of his friend.

But I wonder, does the world-weary gynecologist really consider his ennui a higher form of wisdom? Or is there one part of him that envies the naive enthusiasm of his friends at the table?

This analogy doesn't just apply to someone like me buying a new tow vehicle. It also applies to a longtime traveler and full-time RVer. We naturally feel superior to the wannabees and newbies who drastically over-rate scenery and escapism. But don't we "old wise" ones want to hold on to something of the freshness and naivete of the newbie?

These two situations are best approached from the point of view of the "Zest" chapter in Bertrand Russell's "The Conquest of Happiness." I have been forewarned by his book against the conceit of feeling superior to those who enjoy topography and scenery. It's true that I spurn bar-coded postcards and photo cliches. But these are passive and mindless. It is far better to select land that the mass-tourist doesn't whip out his digital Brownie camera for. There are several choices. 

In my case it has been a long-term love affair with grassy ridgelines. There is a fine set of these overlooking the townsite itself of Little Texas #2, CO. Today my dog and I took advantage of the end of rain and hiked up these lush, productive, feminine, ascending rumples, starting at town level. For years I have lusted to do this, and now we finally have. I was not disappointed. 

I even backtracked to the trailer because I forgot my camera. But it didn't matter. We got such a late start (0800, blush) that the best light was already passed. Next time, sunrise. 

Perhaps it does the reader more good to be teased into imagining these rumpled ascending ridgelines, rather than to be spoon-fed photographs that he can passively consume. At any rate, I have found my long term love, and hope that you find yours.

Comments

Chris said…
What a pleasant, peaceful column this was to read. Reading it, I felt like I had just watched a movie and the protagonist, who had finally found his "long term love", was walking off into a fluffy-clouded sunrise to the next passage of his life. Please don't leave us.

Chris
Aw geesh, Chris, you make me sound like a nambie-pambie. I want to sound like a bad-ass.
Chris said…
I don't think anyone will ever call you a nambie-pambie.

Chris
John V said…
We never get tired of finding a new secluded boondocking site or hike that other people don't know about. Doesn't your heart start to beat a little faster at the potential when you're scouting a new area for sites? Maybe you're in a bit of a rut and are starting to go to the same spots too often year after year? It's not as much about being a newbie or an old pro as it is about always trying to find something new. It's a big enough country that you could spend a lifetime trying.
What's this? Are you putting in an advertisement for "channel surfing with gasoline?" If so, that is inconsistent with your appreciation of careful financial management. Channel surfing with gasoline belongs to a different era. It is too expensive for the modern world.

It is also boring after doing it for one year.
John V said…
Really? After touring North America for just one year it's possible to see everything you would ever want to see and then it gets boring? That's a crushing blow to the "RV Dream". There's no question that traveling fulltime is not for the financially challenged. It costs some money to have fun. We spend anywhere from $4500-$4700 per year on fuel.

And I would never advertise for gasoline. Everyone knows real men use diesel.
I mis-spoke. What I should have said is that scenery loses its appeal as your primary issue after a year or two. After that, it becomes a nice secondary or tertiary fringe benefit, but your primary issue is the activities, challenges, or people that you are focused on.