Skip to main content

Just Discovered a New Blog about Consumer Culture

We all get into ruts on the internet, reading blogs that talk about the same thing every time, or are thinly disguised infomercials, or are mere boob-toob level entertainment.  I just found a great blog on consumer culture, money, and financial independence called Living Stingy. It is intelligent, acerbic, and full of common sense. Why did it take so long to find this blog?

The title of the blog is unfortunate. The writer really doesn't allow comments, which I think is a mistake. Well too bad, it is fun to read and written with mordant wit.

Admittedly I am a bit prejudiced when it comes to style. I like to see a writer observe concrete things that seem bizarre to him. Then he must try to explain those things, and in the process of doing that, the blog post moves towards more general and universal principles.

At any rate, give this blog a try and tell me what you think of it.

Comments

XXXXX said…
Zzzzzzzzz......good example of different strokes for different folks.
edlfrey said…
Read "Is a Job a Means to an End or an End in and of Itself? " and like it. I'll go back and read some more but the author will have to have some really, really good posts to top Fred on Everything.
He writes about a different topic than Fred. In fact I'm kind of losing interest in Fred. He writes about the same four topics every time. And he tries too hard to be funny. Internet comedians don't really interest me too much.
Perhaps you have little interest in the general category of personal finance/tightwad blogs, and not just this fellow's blog.
John V said…
I think everyone between the ages of 18 and 30 should read that blog and take the advice to heart. For those of us who have "been there, done that" when it comes to that topic, it's good to know there are still like-minded people out there. Overall, I get bored with blogs like that one the same way you get bored with the same old RV travel blogs. Come to think of it, I get bored with those RV blogs as well. It's so hard to find high quality, free content on the darn Internet! :-)
My goodness, commenters are being hard to impress today. Maybe I should change the title to "Shitty New Blog Discovered...", just so they would argue in the opposite direction.
John V said…
Guilty as charged! I can offer some suggestions for blogs to include in that next posting. :)
Tinabeane said…
I really enjoyed that new blog and spent sometime reading through, very interesting. So looks like I'm in the minority, thanks for sharing.

Tina
Thanks Tina, I'm glad somebody liked it!
Thanks for the comments, kind and otherwise. I wrote the blog for myself, to sort of try to figure out my own financial life. I never dreamed anyone else would ever read it. Read at your own risk, I do tend to piss people off with some of my postings. Usually the better ones.