Skip to main content

A Real Brownie for the Boonie?

A camping neighbor enjoys walking his Australian shepherd with Coffee Girl. He asked if I was interested in photography. That was a simple yes/no question, but I had trouble with it.

When I started living in this RV park two years ago I was delighted to have a large field to run my dogs in. But as a former full-time traveler, it seemed boring and unnatural to do anything twice. To put my mind at rest I decided to bring the digital Brownie along and put more effort into looking at the small things that the change of seasons brings along. It has been a successful project.

The neighbor offered to let me borrow his digital SLR Canon camera. He showed me a whole bag of lenses and equipment and a tripod. What if I dropped this camera! As impressive as this was on one level, it was repulsive too. When he tugged on the zippers of the side-pouches, I cringed. Using impedimenta like this would completely change the outdoor experience for me. It would be great for setting up near a bird nest or something stationary like that, but that wasn't my style.

I was trying, but probably failing, to keep an open mind about the DSLR. All of my life I have rolled my eyes at equipment weenies, be they camera snobs, gearheads, computer geeks, audiophiles, etc. What all these people have in common is the psychological need to squander unconscionable sums of money on gadgets, which are really just toys, status symbols, or objects of idolatry to them. They aren't really interested in using these toys for anything.

So I passed on the generous offer of a thousand dollars of SLR equipment.

Comments

I once had lots of lenses etc. They were all used frequently in my quest to get the "shot". After years of lugging all that weight around, I decided that my simple point and shoot that could go anywhere easily would let me get 99% of the "shots"a because it was handy and ready NOW. Still there are three or four times a year I wish I had a DSLR to take a certain picture. But with all the equipment in the way I feel I would miss hundreds of shots that I get now. And you are right most folks think buying the right equipment will make them the great whatever photographer, golfer, biker etc. Few bother to study and practice composition, golf lessons and practice, bike training and technique and it goes on forever it seems. Purchase performance so I don't have to personally do anything.
Your comments are the True Confessions of an ex-lensaholic. I agree that being quick on the draw is more important for many interesting photos than the sheer optical horsepower of a DSLR.