Skip to main content

the Boonie and the Moonbeam

A newbie in town and I had lunch together the other day. Perhaps it could be called a "date," but I'm so far out of it that I don't even know the technical, legal definition of a date anymore. She was from a college town in Oregon, so I was suspicious, but tried to keep an open mind.

Several times she introduced key buzzwords into the conversation: organic, Asia, yoga class, and whether there might be trace amounts of meat in the chili; then she appeared to wait for me to take the topic up. With each succeeding blow, my shoulders slumped a little further. Finally she mentioned "vibrations." I'm happy to report that I did not audibly groan, nor did my face fall into the plate as a sign of final surrender. Maybe I sighed a little.

Well who ya gonna blame? I moved to a town full of aged hippie-dippies and New Agers, and then complain when they act like it. Actually they are only 10% of the town, and are concentrated in the hippie district. Oddly enough, it seems like any cultural stereotype adds something to a town as long as there aren't too many of them. In fact the only towns that I have actively disliked are the ones dominated by one sector, say, students, pickup-driving rednecks, panhandlers, lah-dee-dahs, LDS, or Mexicans.

You might remember that scene in Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" when the liberal Democratic Jewish woman said that she loved being reduced to a cultural stereotype. I sometimes wonder what label applies to me after a first meeting.

Is it really such a crime to stereotype people? For one thing it creates an opportunity for a delightful surprise. If there aren't any surprises, the sin is theirs.

People seem most alive and genuine and interesting when they are deviating from their own stereotype. Recently I was watching an interview of Peter Ustinov, asking him to reminisce about the making of "Spartacus." He made a point how important it is in movies to have three-dimensional characters with internal contradictions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL! Beware of these buzzwords: yoga, vegetarian or vegan, rastafarian, vortex, colonic, toxins, mercury fillings, fibromyalgia, astrology, teleology, indigo children, goddess movement, therapeutic touch, flutes and drums, shamans; just get the hell out of there if ANY of this comes up in conversation. ha ha. from one who knows when to scamper.....
Anonymous said…
With self insight you will find the label. It is there.
m
Anonymous, "when to scamper" is right!

M, self-insight sounds like, you know, pretty heavy thinking. I'll just wait until I pick up the answer in the cosmic vibrations.