Skip to main content

The Lure of Incomplete Information

If only I had a nickel for every time somebody said, "Buying a DVD doesn't make much sense, because once I've seen the movie, it isn't interesting anymore." They are correct of course if they are thinking purely in terms of how the story turns out.

But I prefer to ignore that issue and focus on identifying classic lines from classic movies. These become philosophical building blocks, comparable to Aesop's Fables, famous quotes and speeches from Shakespeare and the Bible, and the proverbs of folk wisdom.

The same thing can be said of classic jokes. For example, consider one of Jack Benny's, from the days of Radio: menacing footprints are heard approaching, as he is walking down the sidewalk at night. It  turns out to be a mugger. The mugger tells Benny, "Your money or your life." There is a long pause after that. Benny finally blurts out, "I'm thinking about it!"

There was a joke similar in spirit in Sydney Pollack's mid-1990s remake of Billy Wilder's "Sabrina." Harrison Ford played the money-making ogre. After his playboy-younger-brother is taken to the emergency room after sitting down on glass champagne flutes, the Harrison Ford character tells a business associate and doctor about it, on the telephone:

Doctor on the other end of the phone, unheard by the audience: " ... "
Harrison Ford: "Uhhm we have no idea. Mother thinks the glass flutes were left on the chair by some guest."
Unheard response on the other end of the phone: " ... "
Harrison Ford: "He's not going to sue his own mother."
Another unheard response.
Harrison Ford: "Well he's not me."

No matter how many times I rewatch this movie I always laugh at this joke. This seems odd, because I hardly ever laugh at the lame jokes of movies and television. 

What both jokes have in common is incomplete communication -- the audience must fill in the gaps with their own imagination. Without that trick, the joke wouldn't be all that funny.
__________________________________

But now that you mention it, isn't that the trick that increases our enjoyment of many things? I recently had someone, not terribly experienced at RV boondocking, email me for a list of camping sites in southwestern Colorado. I tried to convince him that being spoon-fed a list of such places would detract from his pleasure, since it depends of the effort of finding the campsites. Once again, it is incomplete information that creates mystique, fear and doubts, drama, and ultimately, triumph. Sure, I could have given him fairly complete information, but that would have reduced him to a passive consumer -- his opportunity to be an honest adventurer would have been destroyed.
___________________________________

I return to this part of Colorado (Gunnison) every year. There are no famous tourist traps right here, although they are close. The big peaks are visible, but off in the distance. There is a mildness to the sagebrush hills in the foreground that lends itself to dispersed camping and non-technical mountain biking.

It takes effort to bring my camera along on mountain bike rides, because this landscape -- that I love the crap out of -- isn't vertical enough for standard gee-whiz internet postcards, as if the world really needs any more of them, anyway. Sunrise and sunset are the only times when the camera does this land justice. But I don't really care, I'm not living for the camera.

A lonely Gibraltar of decomposing granite, set amongst a vast sagebrush sea... how's that for purple prose, befitting the travel blogosphere?
Once again I think it is the incompleteness, the subtlety, of this landscape that affects me so strongly. I like the big peaks off in the background, rather than having them slosh right into my eyeballs. It is like standing on an ocean shore, and watching the fog lift. Off in the distance an uninhabited island appears...




Comments

XXXXX said…
I buy DVD's when I want to study facial expressions, subtleties of body movements. I am always amazed at the skill of some people. I guess you could call this "incomplete"....these facial expressions, etc. for these are the true feelings of the character which the viewer is left to guess at. This is as distinguished from the words spoken. Often two different things.
I couldn't call the photo "incomplete" though but I do see the subtlety. I guess I would say that the land is allowed to speak for itself instead of the cameraman feeling a need to embellish in some way. Nothing ruins a landscape photo more than when a person is in it. Then it becomes a social event. Which is fine. Just not the same thing.
Yes, I was using subtlety and incompleteness as synonyms, but they are not identical. The landscape here is "incomplete" in the sense that the big peaks are not close enough to make standard tourist postcards out of. The average tourist thinks that the loud sugariness of scenery is what makes it interesting.
My goodness, George, I missed your excellent point about all the different layers of incomplete information in movies. Facial expressions and body language are the examples you gave. Recall the look on the female lead character's face at the end of Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights."

A good musical score does the same thing: it can do its magic best if the characters stop yacking.
XXXXX said…
Yes, the genius of musical scores went right past me until just this last year. Perhaps because now I have the time to dawdle more and am not so much in a hurry. I saw "Gladiator" when it first came out and loved the theme music that plays periodically throughout the music but it wasn't until I bought the extended edition DVD set and listened to the interview with the man who wrote the musical score that I began to understand all the inspiration that goes into this sort of creation. It's just downright impressive how the music so masterfully mimics the events and the emotions of the characters. Theme music is a really good example of subtlety simply because the words being spoken are in the forefront but the music is still doing its magic. Beautiful.
edlfrey said…
... incomplete communication -- the audience must fill in the gaps with their own imagination. Without that trick, the joke wouldn't be all that funny.

kaBLOOnie, you are correct IF the audience has enough background knowledge that their imagination will fill in the gap. The Jack Benny classic 'worked' because he devoted a lot of time developing the persona of a miser with his audience. It was only after that image was developed that he could utter what has become a classic. If this same joke is told to a non-English speaking audience in translation it would not be as funny because they do not have an image of the speaker being a miser.
XXXXX said…
Do I recall correctly? Was part of that scenario that Benny would look towards the camera when he did his long pause before answering.....and this was a part of why he could so successfully draw in the audience to the situation.
Jim and Gayle said…
Love that first photo.

Many years ago I had started a new job and there was a large learning curve. One very experienced co-worker used to answer my questions with the response "teach a man to fish..." and I don't remember the rest.

I often thought of murdering him.

Jim
edlfrey said…
He may have use that joke on his TV show but it was first told on a radio episode broadcast March 28, 1948. He had a studio audience for his radio programs so body language and facial expressions would have helped put the joke over.
His signature posture of chin resting on his left hand (his thinking pose) was almost enough to elicit a laugh without him saying anything.
That's probably what my email correspondent wanted to do to me when I wouldn't cough up any locations. (grin)