Skip to main content

12 Not-so-Angry Boonies

Hooray! I escaped the clutches of the American Police State; I got out of jury duty.


One of the benefits of being a long term outdoor traveler is that Mother Nature forces you to branch out; you can only be interested in pretty scenery for so long before you've had enough of it. In order to stay interested, you have to evolve into a type of sensualist/hedonist who appreciates contrasts and conflicts that go way beyond mere prettiness.

I believe that conflict and contrast are under-rated pleasures when thinking about politics. Some people think politics is a nasty subject, good for nothing but ugly name calling and cynicism. Maybe there is ugliness some of the time, but it just whips up your appetite for its opposite. After all, the intensity of the ecstasy is proportional to the agony that preceded it.

Recent experiences have given me a spectacular example of this. After being worried sick about it for a long time, I had to appear before a federal court and answer questions about serving on the jury of a high profile capital case that could drag on for months. After a whole day of being treated like a prisoner, instead of as a prospective juror, the American legal system -- saved perhaps by a vestige of common sense -- rejected me as a potential juror.

This morning I got my life back and stumbled onto an essay in the New York Times that made me feel really good. The subject was the legality of Obama's brush-off of the War Powers Act; I had a ravenous appetite to find anything with a legal theme that made me feel optimistic. That fact that I read this essay in the (usually hated) New York Times made the experience more delightful and powerful.

Comments

Unknown said…
Curious. Do you have any idea why you were rejected. Would be nice to know in case I ever find myself in a similar bind.
Oh dear, I have bad news for you, Wandrin. You might get chosen. The crux of the issue to give honest answers in a particular way: your answers need to be brutal, vehement, untactful, stubborn, and argumentative. One side or the other then sees you as a liability and a time-waster, and rejects you.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the heads up. Pretty sure that I can be "brutal, vehement, untactful, stubborn, and argumentative" if that is what is required. Still hope I never have the opportunity to be in South Dakota when I would rather be some place south -- or farther south depending upon the time of year.
That is exactly why I gave up having a mailing address and drivers license in northern states.
Anonymous said…
I'm already salivating to see what happens when Glenn gets his first summons from ND where his license and new tags are from