Skip to main content

Brainstorming About Better Winter Camping

Why did it take so many years to learn how to warm up in the morning, after camping through a chilly night?  Shrugging the neck and shoulders works wonders.  I have already done that a few times this autumn.

Consider this humble accomplishment as encouragement to find other ways to improve winter camping.  What else have I overlooked?  Every autumn I talk tough about camping in cooler locations in order to avoid the overcrowded camping locations in the Southwest that are known to everybody.  And then I surrender to the inevitable: the same old places, with a van every 50 feet slamming their door 50 times a day; or a giant 5th wheel trailer, with its Harbor Freight 6 Kilowatt generator roaring away.  Gawd, I hate neighbors when camping.

Every winter, the superb weather of the lower Southwest grabs me.  It is still possible to find camping that is tolerable, if not exactly inspiring.

At least I have surrendered on a reluctance to use propane heat.  A Mr. Buddy heater works well enough.

Anti-noise headphones work quite well, and I have a pair.  But why am I reluctant to wear them?  That is another thing that I might need to surrender on.

One last surrender: camping awhile in southeastern California.  This would force me to put several prejudices aside temporarily, for the greater good.

Comments

Know what you are saying about noisy neighbors. There always seems to be one newbie in an entire group that ignores the quiet hours.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy, yes, it could be newbies making the noise. That is particularly true of the generators. It is frustrating to see how much money they have tied up in their pickup truck and fifth wheel trailer, and yet, they couldn't "afford" solar panels and batteries.