Skip to main content

Helping "Adventure" Survive

 Some local people talked to me at camp, the other day.  I wish this kind of thing happened more often.   One fellow had an electric car that he talked about quite a bit.  

I was camped on some BLM land that didn't get many visitors.  The locals were not suspicious of me -- well, maybe a little.  They seemed curious about me.  Or maybe they were flattered that their area was finally appreciated by a 'camper/tourist.'


I instinctively moved away from these mountains when I was looking for a place to camp.  It is nice to stay close enough to see them, of course, but I don't want to be too close.

I found a nice area of green BLM hills, and camped right at a topographic saddle, where it was flat.  The cellphone signal ended on the back side of the saddle.


You can just barely see my trailer as a small white rectangle towards the center of the photo, above.  My little dog and I had walked up the two-track road that you can see in the foreground.  These hills can be big.  

Since this area is close to the Humboldt River, one of the lucky east/west rivers that created the California Trail, it was time to dig out "Wagons West," by Frank McLynn.  Excellent book.  I have become such a sucker for Oregon or California Trail books the last couple years.  Maybe it is because 'adventure' is a word that gets constantly bandied about, but it is really a malapropism in the modern world.  

For instance, many van nomads would have put the camping location at the saddle into some damned "free campsite" website/app, thereby destroying its ambiance.  Or, after pulling in, they would have quickly built a stone campfire ring, which just serves as a magnet to draw in the next camper, and the next...

Comments

Barb in FL said…
Seems like a wonderful location. We just recently watched, again, "Westward the Women" with Robert Taylor. It has to be one of my favorites. Don't know why Taylor's page doesn't even list it. Guess because it only made $2M & wasn't popular at the time it was released. Has a cast with 100 women who only a few get credit. Taylor is a wagon train leader that takes them to California to meet the men who are to be their new husbands. Great movie. Hope you can find it.
Barb, Thanks for telling me about the movie, "Westward the Women". Maybe You Tube will list it as one of their free movies. I am always amazed to learn about women surviving on those trails with young children!
Ed said…
I am also always amazed to learn about young children surviving on those trails!

It’s estimated that about 40,000 of the emigrants who made the trip out West were children. Chores for children on the trail often included fetching water, cooking, washing dishes, and helping to look after the younger children. Children were also assigned to collect “buffalo chips” that were used for fuel to build fires for warmth and cooking.

Somewhat different from what the children of today face.
Ed, I don't think a modern kid would consider picking up Buffalo chips a cool thing to do. It wouldn't enhance their popularity.
Barb in FL said…
YT charges for the movie. Rumble has it, but no captions.
Most of the time we are BLM lands we use existing spots that have Stone Firepits already built.
Picking up Buffalo Chips would certainly leave an Air about those doing it.
Be Safe and Enjoy the serenity.

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy Rousseau,
I like your method of using existing campsites.

Dry buffalo chips do not smell, do they?