Skip to main content

A Tortured Topography

It is so hard to visualize the topography and geography of the tri-state junction of WA, OR, and ID.  I just got it straight that the land between the lower Salmon trench and the Snake trench is Mountain Time Zone.  I have a hard time visualizing the land south of Clarkston/Lewiston as part of WA.  Then there is the steep drive across the Grand Ronde Canyon if you try to drive between northeastern OR and Clarkston/Lewiston (or Grangeville.)

What a combination!: Palouse-like prairies, steep trenches, and 5000 foot elevations between the trenches.  Unfortunately the forest is usually too dense to enjoy the viewscape, so you have to approach it through the feet and the imagination.  There is something to be said for obscuring great views.  Effortless eye-candy tends to be a short-lived snack.  But reaching out with your imagination can keep you interested for a long time.


Up to our old tricks of biking to cell towers.

Comments

I lived and worked from early 2002 until October 5 2007 when I hit the road full time in Richland Wa. and really loved the area for playing outside. Never had to worry about having something fun to do.
Barney, perhaps by the time you left the area, you COULD visualize the geography around here!
Barney, perhaps by the time you left the area, you COULD visualize the geography around here!
I had two bikes and the one was for riding with friends around the area after work. And the other was my rough country KEEP UP BUBBA IF YOU CAN bike. I fell in love with the grade roads around the Route of the Hiawatha area in north Idaho. Nothing was ever boring or tiresome in in the PNW no matter if it was land or water.
Barney, I agree with your praise of the Northwest, if that means the Inland Empire. I haven't gone to the coast for years.

But let's be fair: the towns in the Inland Northwest are low-altitude and hot in summer. They are oppressively dry. The non-ponderosa forests are dense, making it difficult to camp. There is no Colorado Plateau in this part of North America, so most land is too steep to camp on. And biking is all low-gear grinding.

Obviously I think I can dance around some of these difficulties, or I wouldn't be here!