Skip to main content

Sagebrush and Meadowlarks (?)

When a traveler heads north in the western intermountain states, they say goodbye to Saguaro cactus first -- which is too bad.  But then you leave cholla behind, and hooray for that.  Here in northern Utah I see only an occasional prickly pear cactus.  They are stunted and unhealthy looking.  Maybe it is too cold for them.

It is sagebrush country now.  I rather like the odor.  Wikipedia says that pronghorn antelope is the only big hooved critter that eats sagebrush.  That makes you wonder why you don't see more pronghorns!  In fact, why aren't they the most common animal around?

A couple years ago, a few miles from here, I stepped out of the van and apparently hooked my foot under a thick, twisted, woody stem of sagebrush.  My face was on the ground before I knew what happened.  Ah well, nothing personal!  I still rather like sagebrush, although I wish there wasn't so much of it.

Sagebrush seems to repel tourists and campers.  If so, that is the best thing you can say about it.

On my morning walks with the Little Cute One, I notice a bird that stays low and even lands on the ground.  Is it the meadowlark?  It is melodious.  There is something especially pleasing about the emptiness of sagebrush country, especially on a calm day.  The quietness is interrupted only by an occasional bird song.

Sometimes the height and density of sagebrush is just perfect for my little dog.  She literally runs through and over the sagebrush, with leaps and bounds, like a frisky animal in a Saturday morning cartoon for kiddies.  It is irresistible to watch this.  I recommend it as therapy for non-dog-lovers!   



Comments