Skip to main content

Camping With a Megalith

When I moved into my current campsite I was surprised by the neighborhood megalith.  It won't compete against Stonehenge as a tourist draw, but I like the way it looms outside my kitchen window.  It makes the trailer feel so small and light.


Wikipedia has an interesting article on megaliths.  I had no idea of how many structures of this type are found all over the world.   Megaliths are photogenic, so the article was more interesting than the usual jargon-filled, Wikipedia article.  I wish that it said more about why people built megaliths at such great effort to themselves, and with so little utilitarian benefit.

Of course my megalith was built by Mother Nature.  It still serves some purpose to the human mind.  In order to appreciate it fully, perhaps I should rewatch the end of the movie version of Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles."  And then let the imagination go 'free range.'

Comments