Skip to main content

A Couple Cow-Managers Start at Sunrise

(Twin Falls, ID) A strange little vehicle showed up at sunrise this morning.  It was here yesterday.  It was a funky old side-by-side, made before that category of vehicle became common.  It was Japanese and had the steering wheel on the right.

Minutes later, a diesel pickup showed up, pulling a long trailer for hauling cattle in.  Both "cattle-managers" jumped in the diesel/trailer and took off to their morning work, I guess.  But that was only after letting three dogs take care of their morning chores.  It was an unusual trio: a greyhound, a small or old lapdog that needed to be carried, and a classic ranch dawg.  As they drove off, I could see the ranch dawg jumping around in the back of the the "flat bed" pickup truck.  How do they get a grip on diamond-plate steel?  But it was such a classic.  

(I had just spent 10 days at a place in Utah that appeals to campers and mountain bikers.  Nobody did anything at sunrise, there.  Nobody's vehicle had dust or rust on it.  Nobody did anything useful for a living.  That is why I get such a kick out of seeing something real take place.)

The Little Cute One wanted to check things out, since this was a new camp for us.  We found a two-track that climbed the sagebrush-covered hill.  In a grassy clearing, a solo antelope munched away at something that held its attention so tightly that we were able to sneak up to within 50 feet of it, before it heard us.

I'm glad the Little Cute One was on a leash.  She goes crazy when she sees wildlife.  Off-leash, she would chase the animal far and wide. 

It is funny how things work out.  Yesterday, when we arrived here, I saw all the tall, woody-stemmed sagebrush and wondered if I would find it interesting here.

From the archive: my second camp-dawg, Coffee Girl, gives it her best against a fleet-footed antelope.

"Oh well, I did my best, Pops.  At least I showed that antelope who is boss!"


Comments