Skip to main content

The Sociable Camper

 Southwestern Arizona.  Right now I am camped where I actually visit other campers on just about every bike ride or walk.  I never do that the rest of the year, so it feels wonderful.  Naturally I wonder why it doesn't occur elsewhere.

Before trying to answer that, let's start with an anecdote.  Somebody was walking by my new campsite yesterday and began talking to me.  (I was outdoors, messing around with setup, so I was approachable.)  It turned into a nice conversation about climate in different locales.  It did not get sidetracked into politics.  Perhaps he was willing to talk to me because he was alone and wasn't subservient to a wife.  He didn't seem concerned about our conversation messing up his Strava times.

Soon he had me in the palm of his hand.  Then we talked about the heavenly rain and wondered when the green leaves of the ocotillos will burst out.  And when the wildflower season will erupt.  He mentioned that there were apps that tell a person where and when to find desert wildflowers.

My bubble burst.  The conversation aborted after that.

Does that contain a clue to the original question of this post?  Maybe I am a victim of my own prejudices: I am too snobbish.  When I see "mass market tourism" stamped on another camper's forehead, I start to dislike them.  A mass-market mindset can manifest itself in so many ways in campers.

Let's end the post here before I inflict one of my standard stump speeches on the long-suffering reader.







Comments

Anonymous said…
There are two types of "RVers". Those that like to participate in pot lucks, and the rest of us.
Anonymous, Your point was certainly true for the old generation, that is, my generation. But is it still true for the younger generation? I just don't know because I don't belong to any RV groups anymore.