Skip to main content

A Sign From Heaven

That does it -- from now on I will carry my smartphone along on all walks outdoors, just as I carry my bear spray.  Something interesting happens when you least expect, and then your "real camera" is back at home.

Q.t.𝞹 and I make use of a well-graveled forest road for routine walks. We stay out of the mud that way.  The moisture content in the sky was amazing.  On the way back I saw the most impressive rainbow/halo around the noon-time sun.  It was a complete circle that would have circumscribed both of your palms held up at arm's length.

I don't think I have ever seen something quite like that.  By the time I got back to the trailer and camera, the halo was gone.

Imagine you were some shepherd in the high country of a drought-stricken land, and you saw this halo.  You would have considered it a divine sign of some kind.  Around the campfire that night, you might have tried to write a song or poem about it.  Let's hold on to the ability to imagine ourselves in that shepherd's sandals.  Let's not run to Wikipedia and look up the answer in an article on atmospheric physics.


Comments

Harry Flair said…
I have been a pilot since 1964. I have seen two rainbow-circles from the air. I think they must be very rare. The center of the "rain-circle" has always been slightly below me and of course away from the sun. The "rain-circles' have your undivided attention for a while.
Harry, yes, "rain circle" is a good term for it. It was interesting to hear about your experience. Just before I saw it, the high moisture content of the air was very high.