Skip to main content

Podcasts as a Timely Antidote...

...to poisonous media.

I was long overdue at finding a new way to put a filter between my own mind and the repetitious poison of the media.

For some reason I have always underestimated or overlooked podcasts. I bumbled onto a website that I really love: historyofenglishpodcast.com  .

It aims at explaining how the spoken language has changed. How refreshing! (Previously I have made the mistake of stepping into dry, technical, linguistic explanations on the written language. Dreadful stuff.)

It is pleasant to listen to these podcasts at night, when my eyes are too tired to read, but my brain isn't quite ready to sleep. I could listen to more music, but I don't want to overdo that, and become insensitive to music.

Somebody please stop me from flaring up with excessive expectations! Otherwise I will tear into the world of audio books and podcasts, and download as many goodies as possible!

Comments

Ted said…
Thanks, sounds interesting. It’s now added to my subscriptions. I’ve already been sucked into the world of podcasts and audiobooks. My continued favorites are the Great Courses university lecture series audiobooks from Audible, though you have to be careful in your choices: some are fantastic, some are so-so, some are dreadful. Pay attention to the reviews if you ever decide to try one.
Ted, thanks for the info about Audible, but of course I went ballistic when I saw the monthly subscription fee! My hatred of subscription probably is NOT financially rational at times, but that is how I am.
Ted, also, I must be able to download the audio book as an MP3 file so I can listen offline. I am not interesting in "streaming" with an internet connection.
Ted said…
Audible audiobooks can be downloaded in the app for offline listening. That’s the usual method rather than streaming.

I’m normally unsubscribed to Audible and all my audiobooks remain downloadable. Every year or two I take advantage of a special deal, get some more titles, then cancel again.