Skip to main content

Magic Moment Magicians

The other day my dog was patiently waiting for me to finish in the coffee shop. She amused herself by collecting one human scalp after another.

Her last victim was a girl of age 8. How that little girl glowed as she petted the dog! I couldn't take my eyes off of both of them. Although I will probably have a clear memory of this moment the rest of my life, it would have been great to photograph. But how? 

The glass window was in the way, and if I had gone outside, wouldn't the mere presence of a camera have provoked self-consciousness in the girl, and therefore ruined the moment?

People who are good at 'magic moment' photographs involving people and animals must have quite a bag of tricks. The only trick I can think of is to have a telephoto lens which lets you move away to a safe, non-intrusive distance. Obviously you must not talk to the subjects and try to coax them into a fake pose.

Actually the charm is not all in the subject. Much of it resides in the invisibility of the camera.

In the mean time I can show the sort of photograph I wanted that day. This occurred at a festival of some kind many years ago.

Comments