Skip to main content

Finally, a New Tow Vehicle!

Is it understandable or reasonable that an older car buyer would like to get excited about what-might-be their last car, especially if they have never done so before?

There can be a romance to such an important part of life. Carried to extreme, it might seem silly.

After 15 years of fussing and fuming, of sturm und drang, I finally bought a new tow vehicle. It didn't work out like a romantic novel, by, say, Sir Walter Scott or Alexander Dumas.

Rather, it resembled a Jane Austen novel, in composite, non-literal form: a young woman, enthused about a dashing young rake, the best dancer at the balls, and always fashionably dressed. He drives a stylish and fast carriage, and rides a stallion. She's even heard whispers that he has killed a man in a duel.

Then she finds out he is an irresponsible, self-centered cad.

After a suitable amount of wailing, she transfers her attentions to a man who isn't too old, and doesn't look terrible, has good inheritance prospects, and is responsible and kind.

She sighs, and thinks, "Maybe I can learn to love him."

So it goes with a new car, house, job, spouse, and most other things that are important.

Comments

XXXXX said…


What's the male version of the above?

George
Ed said…
I do like the headline "Finally, a New Tow Vehicle!" and you seem to have mastered the media style of avoiding details that support the headline.

Certainly not the vehicle shown in the photo that you posted? That is another media staple, using photos that have nothing to do with the news being reported.

What did you buy?
Anonymous said…
I too am going thru the struggle to find a new rig. Got an 05 F150 with 100K miles and a 06 Ram 3500 with 10K miles. Just want to find another 1/2 ton pickup but I'm astounded at the prices!!! Horrendous!! And I'd have to go back to school to learn how to run the dash!!!
Don in Okla.
Anonymous said…
You teased us with the headline but didn't tell us what you bought.

Chris
Ed, I couldn't find a photo of a sexy girl stretched out on a Jeep Gladiator -- it would have represented the romantic dream I had, and that I turned my back on, of course.

Chris, teasing the readers is good for my linkbait income. (grin)

Don in Okla, I thought the 2500 and 3500 pickup prices were unbelievable. 1500s are pretty bad, too.
George, the male version is too easy. It was more challenging for me to imagine the female version.
Unknown said…
Greetings,

I enjoy your writing and I find your experience and advice helpful as I begin my quest to move from brick and sticks to a nomadic life.
I genuinely would like to know more about your new tow rig. This information will be helpful to me as I consider tow vehicle options.

Best regards,
David
David, New readers might initially mistake this blog for a "How to be an RVer" blog, but it is NOT. You might benefit from the towing sub-forums on RV.net (for big rigs), IRV2, and FiberglassRV for small rigs. Personally I was usually disppointed by those forums, but you may have better luck.

Or you could email me, occ.of.ind@gmail.com with a specific question.