Skip to main content

A Star is Born

It has been quite a challenge to be a doggie's uncle; especially when the dog is a one-year-old, intact male. He was a street urchin picked up by my friend. His coloration reminds you of a blue heeler, but the body type isn't right for that.

I concluded that his other half is Mexican Grey Wolf, based on the body, head, teeth, and behavior!

At first I resisted zapping him with his electric training shock collar. But after he rammed his muzzle and canine teeth into my chin, I have become a training nazi.

On the other hand, he is a real lover boy, friendly, athletic, and good-hearted. His name is 'Hopi.' He has been learning to mountain bike with me. We only had one mishap, which cost me a knee cap. But I still have one good one, left. Unrelated to that, cattle gates still confuse him.



Although he isn't going to become my dog, it has been fun to become a type of foster parent, or uncle, to him.

So much of his significance comes from considering what he represents. Seeing an individual as the representation of something more general does not destroy the lovable-ness of his individuality.

But it does help me appreciate the Circle of Life a bit more. He represents Youth, Eagerness, and Zest. It has been awhile since I offered bonus points to a reader: can you (?) recall the movie (a Chaplin movie?) where the character says, "Life isn't about Meaning -- it is about Desire."

Let's see if we can come up with a visual representation of that idea:



Not bad! The quote and the photo do somebody more good than a bookshelf of dreary, academic, specialized, philosophy books. (And you could say the same thing about sickly religious guilt, or inwardly obsessed Eastern mysticism.)

He rejuvenated my interest in photography, as I cavorted around the yard with Hopi, trying to manage the blinkie toy and the Olympus TG-5 Tough camera at the same time.

Comments

Ed said…
I don't recall the movie but I'm good at finding stuff using internet Search.

Limelight with Chaplin playing the part of Calvero that had some good lines.

What do you want meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning. Desire is the theme of all life!
There's something about working the streets I like. It's the tramp in me I suppose.
That's all any of us are: amateurs. We don't live long enough to be anything else.
Life can be wonderful if you're not afraid of it.
You always end up with the extra points awarded by this blog!
Mark in Kansas said…
How does one go about redeeming points for something of value?
Mark in Kansas, you mean that prestige and status is not "something of value." I'm sure that Ed would agree!