Skip to main content

The Solution to Winter Evenings when Camping

Long winter evenings have never been my favorite thing, when boondocking. All I could do was waste time on the internet or read books. Perhaps older eyes just don't like reading in the evening. Or maybe I have had my fill of reading by evening.

The result was boredom and glumness. This was a serious problem for me. My solution was to go to bed early.

Some solution! It results in poor quality sleep. And who can sleep for 12 hours per night?!



Lately I have been experimenting with organizing things in the evening. Consider all the photographs stored on your computer. They need to be organized and culled. This ends up being fun because it gives you a chance to reminisce over your travels.

You could argue that you just have too many photographs to tackle in this manner. Then why not just throw them out? You are never going to look at them again, anyway.

Organizing is needed for the file structure on the laptop and the smartphone, as well.

There are physical things that need to be organized, too. Maybe I should select a new box or drawer every night, and go into "attack" mode.
_________________________________________

Let's assume this works as well as I hope it does. The more interesting question is, Why Didn't I Think of It Before?

Perhaps it was because of pretentiousness. Being retired and having dropped out of the rat race, one might feel sententious and preachy about doing more meaningful things with one's time. Mere organizational "housework" seemed too mundane for somebody with exalted pretensions.

But every year I continue to take up space on planet Earth and observe the human condition, I become more humble about the human condition, and more convinced that the best way to live life is to enthusiastically do what is actually doable, and stop pining for perfection or utopia.

Comments

Your last sentence is essentially the same conclusion I feel I am arriving at.
OFM, how's the old saying go? "Great minds think alike."
I am glad to see big brother that you’re coming to the same conclusion that I did many years ago. Several times a year I purge every drawer every closet one at a time. I find it quite cathartic. The more I do it over the years the less time it takes. See we’re not totally different.
Maybe we do have some common DNA after all?!
Bon vivant said…
Knight (The Stranger in the Woods) retired at 1930 hours and arose at 0230 hours daily, to ward off frostbite, er, to stay alive rather. I use a hoodie for the colder nights since it seems to work better than sticking my snout out.

All the best poets, philosophers and mystics insist that doing nothing is the best use of one's time on Earth.
Bon vivant, do you believe "All the best poets, philosophers and mystics"? I don't feel inspired by Quietism, nor by activity-less, body-less thinking/meditating. I think it just leads to morbid self-absorption
Bon vivant, My comment didn't do a very good job at what a blogger should strive for: expressing a lively opinion about a thing or idea, while being careful not to offend a person. After all, we have all had various opinions at one stage of life or another. They change over time.