Skip to main content

Keeping Camping an Adventure

It is quite something how we take a instant like or dislike to someone we have just met. A fellow approached me in a parking lot and started talking about being a snowbird/boondocker/camper in Arizona. He was rather new at this racket.

Instantly I liked him, and wanted to be helpful. And then my bubble burst -- and it wasn't really any fault of his! My emotional rollercoaster was so extreme that I must try to understand it.

He started asking about 'how to' this, that, and the next thing. He had done so much homework on well-known van camping forums and Yoob Toobs (aka, You Tube) that his approach was stereotypical, and therefore, predictable. I knew what he was going to ask next before he did.

It almost hurt to listen to him. My gawd, is anything more boring than a 'nuts & bolts' guy who is utterly predictable?!

Meanwhile my friend and I explored the ramp up to a mountain range. I had camped here, but it was so many years ago that it didn't 'help'. We had one disappointment and frustration after another. I found the tone of my voice becoming sharp and irritable.

It took half the afternoon before we found a beautiful campsite, just before sunset. What bliss! And it came from NOT knowing the answer in advance. It came from the suffering and uncertainty that create drama in the pursuit, and bliss in the fruition. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm bypassing your blog message and wondering what kind of camper your friend has - the one in the photo? Looks like an old Avion.

Chris
Chris, he already has a big head about that rig of his because people walk up and fawn over it. Surely you aren't trying to make this situation worse! (grin)
Anonymous said…
I'll take that as a yes on the Avion, and fawning notwithstanding, your photo is gorgeous.

Chris
squire said…
I find most people disappoint me after talking or knowing them awhile but those who do not become fast and long time friends.