Skip to main content

The Stow-away

If you live long enough, you will experience just about anything and everything. The other day I actually rode a technical mountain bike trail and enjoyed it -- not in spite of its technicalities, but because of them. Credit the soft sandstone geology of Utah.

I consider that last example to be extraordinary, but if the reader isn't a mountain biker, they may not care.

OK, try this one on: I left the dispersed camping site near Moab a couple days before two friends were planning to. I stopped at one guy's van to say goodbye, while keeping an eye out for his little dog, so I wouldn't run over her. But it was a bad time for him, so I kept going. Everything seemed smooth.

Unaccustomed as I am to wasting time and money in coffee shops, I did stop in at the one in Green River, Utah. There I noticed a message from one of the friends back in Moab. (My phone volume had been turned off because of some telephone spammers.)

The message said that Olive, the little dog, was missing. And would I please look inside my rig? That request seemed abit silly. But I looked in the tow vehicle's cab and in the trailer, and of course she wasn't there.

But OK, let's be thorough: I opened the rear of the van up -- it's separated from the cab by a safety bulkhead wall -- and guess whose little face was ready for me?


Busted! Why she jumped in the back of my van, I don't understand. The owner said that she is prone to things like that.

It would be a while before her owner could drive over to pick her up, so I brought her over to the Green River coffee shop, where all the hipsters of the town hang out. The owner said, "I've never seen a walking potato with a leash before!"

It serves the little stowaway right.

"I've been dog-napped!"
 

Comments

Jim and Gayle said…
That's too funny. And what a cute face! Hope she wasn't in too much trouble with her owner.
Well not too much trouble I guess, because he drove over to pick her up!