Skip to main content

It Ain't Havana Weather No More

BLM land near Cuba NM, 7100 feet. Many a Northerner, in Florida for the first time, has been amused by the weather guys' and the locals' talk about a possible "hard freeze." The very term seems ridiculous to the Northerner, and he might easily conclude that Floridians are thermal sybarites. 

This morning I remembered that experience of long ago and my disgust (grin) toward Floridians when I had to get out of bed because it was too cold to sleep. In fact there had been a "soft freeze" overnight. But on this blog, hard and soft freezes refer to the temperature inside the trailer. It had reached 30 F inside, so the water pump wouldn't work. But it was just a soft freeze since the water in the dog dish was still liquid.

So I had to crawl through some sagebrush under the trailer and turn on the propane shut-off valve for the catalytic heater. Gosh I dislike the inconvenience and cost of propane. In the summer I can go as long as 4 months on one small (5 gallon) bottle of propane, since it only gets used to cook and to heat water for a navy shower. (I downsized my water heater and RV hydrogen/ammonia refrigerator years ago.) 

But don't think I'm making a pitch for sympathy. I could say it a thousand times and would still feel like saying it again: there is no weather more glorious than scalding sun and cool air.

The reason I'm going through this right now is that I switched the migration "theme" from the Rio Grande to the "Great Divide Route" in order to take advantage of the warm Native American summer (smirk) weather we have been -- had been -- having. Don't confuse the Great Divide Route with a dedicated trail like the Continental Divide Trail; rather, it is a route, a selection, of extant forest service and BLM dirt roads made by and promoted by the Adventure Cycling Association in Missoula, Montana.

A couple times I've been dispersed camping next to the route and have seen the heavily-loaded mountain bikes go blasting down the road. I've learned not to bother the cyclists; they get tired of the same questions, and most cyclists are focusing on reaching camp or a motel that is 70 miles away. Too bad. I would like to visit with them. Their activity does have a certain appeal, except for the tent camping and motels. 

It's funny about migration "themes". Why is it so satisfying to connect one day with the next by some idea? Isn't each day sufficient unto itself? Apparently not.

Comments

Desert Diva said…
Cuba's a nice little break in the road. I've eaten at the Mexican restaurant there - good but a little pricy in my opinion.

Gee, I have a seven gallon propane tank in my Toyota Dolphin and I thought "I" was doing good in the summer to go for a month before a refill. I use it for my refrigerator (which is FINALLY working great, and stovetop cooking.

Someone have me an Olympian 6 heater and I hook it up to a 5 gallon propane bottle and run the hose through the passenger side vent window. I need to "perfect" this set-up if I travel this winter...
Desert Diva, Cuba is indeed an excellent pit stop, halfway between Farmington and Albuquerque. I went through last year for the first time, and thought that's all it was good for.

But it's more important than that. There's lots of public land on all sides. It's the only places between the two big cities where you can find all the basic services.
Ed said…
Desert Diva,

To use 7 gal seems a lot to just cooking and the refrigerator. I cooked and used my Wave 6 a little bit for six months and it only took 10.5 gal to fill my tank.
Might you have a leak?