Skip to main content

A Rival Form of Hunting

Arriving in Cuba NM I made a mistake that an experienced traveler has no excuse for: I asked some low-level employees in a couple stores where the Verizon cell tower was. If you want an assured, blank, uncomprehending stare from a local, that is the question to ask. But in fact I first asked two firefighters this very question, and they gave me the wrong answer. (Please don't tell me the answer is on the internet. The internet is full of inaccurate and obsolete information. Nobody ever corrects any of it.)

I went away feeling like a fool for even asking. After such an experience it is always tempting to conclude that the average person is a know-nothing. But there might be a kinder and gentler explanation: most lives are actually quite circumscribed. Most people have little curiosity about things they have no immediate need to know. "Life" consists mostly of routines built around work, driving to work, household chores, shopping, and television.

Asking where the cell tower is is about like asking "where does the city water supply come from," or where is the wastewater treatment plant, or what's the nearest electricity powerplant.

But I got on the (rumored) trail of the only Verizon tower in the area and worked to get camped out there. In fact, one of maintenance guys  -- in a white cargo van of course -- passed my mountain bike on a dirt road; so I knew I was getting warmer. It's absurd how much pleasure I got from this accident. It gave me the same kind of thrill that the bear hunter (of last post) gets from his sport.

Let's keep this in mind when, a couple days from now, I brag about how I'm kicking the internet habit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry, this falls under the category "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer"! Where is the closest Verizon tower? Really!!! Not that its a stupid question really, but you expect people to know where cell towers are located, let alone a specific carrier? Think about it. I know you wont post this, but I know you will read it. :)

Jeff
Unknown said…
When I read this I immediately thought "there must be an app for that." And it turns out there is :)

Try this: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/zboost-signal-finder_cdjxn.html

... and if it doesn't work I'm sure there are more and probably for different platforms too.
XXXXX said…
Yes, good idea to kick the internet addiction, just the same as the TV addiction you mentioned before.
Kinder and gentler? Also a good idea. Truthfully, nobody owes you an answer to your query at all. That anyone stops and tries to help should elicit only gratitude. They have given you that much of their life, a gift with no strings.