Skip to main content

Wallowing in Repetitive Perfection

At first it felt silly to include this photograph since it is similar to recent ones. But wait a minute -- why must a blogger try to be brilliantly original? Why can't he just wallow in something he loves, even at the expense of being repetitive? The sky around here takes on a strange yellow color when the wind is only moderately strong. Perhaps it is due to the large open-pit copper mine nearby. (The photo is not sauced up by any editing-software.)



Something that is somewhat new is the seasonal adjustment to my camping style. There are plenty of reasons to stay out of RV parks, but one reason that can get overlooked is how much a camper gains by facing the screen door towards the right direction, depending on the season. In mid-winter the screen door needs to face south, in order to glory in that warm Arizona sun. 

In summer, the door must face north or you couldn't stand to open it all day; you develop an obsessive lust for the shade; and as summer wanes in late August you watch the shadows lengthen, and feel triumphant.

In spring I like to face the door to the east to allow it to bask, not only in morning sunlight, but in the calm lee of the west wind. What a marvelous time of year: no flying insects, cold mornings, and warm afternoons. I pop the door completely open; I sit at the desk in a winter parka and boots. Despite that, my feet don't really warm up until I rotate the office chair and stick those cold puppies into that incoming shaft of sunlight. It feels almost solid, like negative ice.

Comments

XXXXX said…
One of the things that I notice in myself as I age is a greater appreciation for the little things in life. When I was young, I was driven by many forces I did not understand and I would say that I did not even realize that I was being driven. As time went by, these drives gradually subsided and I was left with just the little things. I live in one spot so things like watching the growth of trees I have planted years ago are now important to me. Likewise, I watch the death (slow or fast) of various trees and observe the process of decay. All so much just parallel various other processes in life. One of my favorite quotes is "As above;So Below" since I now can see so many parallels.
Your photos are beautiful and I can see why you are drawn to the beauty of where you live. Have you ever wondered what it is about sunrises and sunsets that captivate us so? To me, as the sun and the colors change and the land itself responds, it seems like birth and death itself. The changing colors directly impact my corresponding mood and it is like experiencing a birth or death. Life in so many ways is simply experiencing the birth and deaths of many many things along the way and, ultimately, my own personal experience of living and dying.
And so, it is actually important which way your door faces and, likewise, keeping one's feet warm. No apology for repition needed.
George, my goodness, your comments are the kind that bloggers yearn for.
leehuck said…
A career as an occupational therapy will offer you a great number of benefits, rewards and other positive factors. From one person to the next, every individual may have a different reason for getting started down this path, or for why they love it as much as they do. Visit good website for the details.