Skip to main content

Mountain 2, Kodger 0

San Lorenzo, NM. I'd found a little slice of -- actually a big slice of -- camping paradise, but I didn't expect the Caravan of the Kodgers to come up here, since the state parks really are more comfortable as long as you have an air conditioner.

It might be true that boondockers are real campers because they own dogs who want to be real dogs; and you can't be that in a campground on a leash. Another reason why a camper might like my current setting is the mountain biking. The road splits and follows dry creeks through canyons cooled with ponderosas and decorated with lupines. On top of that, the dirt roads were maintained by the county, and were rather smooth.

Of course those two roads would be fun to drive with a nice "towed" like the Honda CR-V that many motorhomers have. But the motorhome never would have made it to this campsite in the first place.
  
There are other reasons for being a boondocker, such as noise or an appreciation for nature. But I'm beginning to think that dogs and mountain bikes are so concrete that somebody who is guilty of both counts is doomed to lonely boondocking.  Like I said, I didn't expect the Caravan to show up here.

 
But they did. Of course it helps to know the answer, but they still had a difficult time snaking up the 7 miles of narrow dirt road. One RVer, Lyn, acquitted herself admirably in her class B motorhome (customized van). 

Then there's the King of the Kodgers, himself. In a word, shameful (grin). It took him a second attempt to surmount one of hills a few miles back in ranch country. (It was so mild that I don't even remember it.) There was one big hill just after entering the national forest. I drove down in my van to see how the Caravan was doing.

The Kodger was walking up the hill to size it up. He was gushing excuses for quitting and for just camping at the bottom, if that was close enough to visit the rest of us. Maybe his GMC Sonoma pickup truck is under-matched to his 4500 pound ultralight trailer; or the clearance is low; or the 8 foot width is a big handicap in doing tight turns; or "P" tires (instead of "LT" tires) are not a good idea on pickup trucks.

Whatever the reason, what transpired next is almost too shameful to describe. (But I will anyway.) I got out my tow rope and finally found a spot on his truck to attach it to. The Kodger kept sniffling and whining about how this wouldn't work. But two vehicles connected by a rope are functionally the same as four-wheel drive with a bigger engine, as long as the two drivers coordinate things well.

Up we went, and with little difficulty. Finally getting over the hill, the Kodger then widened the "driveway" to our campsite, thanks to his 8 foot width. But no real damage was done, except "to his pride."

Good news: Lyn has a 9-week-old Corgie who is remarkably calm for a little bundle of soft, warm squirm. She's as cute as the little darlin' who was turkey hunting the other day.


Comments

I want that pup!!!

And yes, you're right about the dogs and boondockers part. With four dogs, they won't even let me drive through most campgrounds. But that's OK, my dogs are nice and quiet and don't run generators late at night. :)
Tom said…
Too funny! :) Enyoy your stay...
I know Randy from WIN gatherings, but not extremely well. However, I do know that he has a penchant for liking to be "center stage." (This is just what it is and not meant to be a slam to the Kodger - we all have our individual personalities.)

It seems he may have "met his match" in you, as you seem to have a tendency to keep him "grounded in reality." ;-)

Wave if you all pass close to Las Cruces, NM.
Spotted Dog Ranch, I was once rejected by a campground because I had one dog, a 15 pound miniature poodle who never barked. Don't even get me started on the anti-dog nazis in the National Park Service.

Cheryl, Is 100 miles "close" by NM standards?

I couldn't help teasing the Kodger about his mountain roadworthiness because we've argued over the years about high clearance, trucks versus vans, 8 foot versus 7, and generators.

Now if only we had a completely cloudy day and he had to come begging at my door for some generator juice!
Boonie - In "The Land of Enchantment," 100 miles is just a "stone's throw." ;-)

Love the fact that Randy has "met his match!"