Skip to main content

A Sage and the City

It's the music in the grocery store that brings it on. My city nausea, that is. When finishing a long stay on raw land and heading into the city (Sierra Vista, AZ), it makes sense to see it as an opportunity for a mental adventure. Pretend that you are seeing city-ways for the first time. Take nothing for granted. Why not let yourself be astounded and amused by it all?

Anyway, that's what I try to do. Then I walked into a grocery store and had my central nervous system attacked by unusually loud and conventionally ugly music. More than anything else it's the ugliness of popular music that makes me think this society is doomed -- or at least, that I want it to be doomed, so that something better replaces it. 

Does real camping get a person so used to quietness that noise pollution seems worse back in the hive? It's possible. Then again, this is a military town, so maybe noise levels are higher with all the young bucks around.

A Stoic sage would come back to the city and maintain an imperturbability about the insanity of modern life. A flunkie sage has to fight to maintain his mental independence from an ugly culture that just isn't worth being a member of. Stubbornness of this kind is fatiguing. Carried to extreme this would result in grouchiness and hostility, which would be foolish. But surrender is not an option.

Comments

XXXXX said…
Agreed. Surrender is no longer an option and then life is sweet, isn't it? You have crossed over the threshold and are no longer even tempted to fit in or doubt yourself. Instead, you stand tall in your hard-won beliefs.
Aging is a wonderful thing, in my opinion, and I am in awe at how many in our society want to turn back the clock. Another form of neurosis.
What makes the difference? Why do some see their way through to the other side and others never seem to break free, always remaining prisoners to the end?
For me, though, if I may indulge, it isn't the vastness of the desert; instead, the ocean. The sound of the ebb and flow is like a mother's heartbeat or the heartbeat of a cherished lover before everything soured. And to put my hands in the soil of the earth and grow my own vegetables. I don't go to town much either. It is all heaven to me; I need no other.
Wayne (Wirs) said…
Both Randy and Glenn, in person, have spoken highly of you. Though I've yet to meet you, I suspect you are the "hardest" of the three---the most set in your ways.

"But surrender is not an option."

I used to agree with that statement. But I can't say I do anymore.

Beauty is everywhere. Solitude and Society alike.

There's a lot to be said for allowing---for surrender.
George, If I understand you correctly and put it in my own words: you mean that aging can bring on the peaceful acceptance of being estranged from your own society and culture?

I like what you said about the ocean and the feelings it engenders for you. I'd spend more time near the ocean if it worked for me. Some time back I accepted the fact that my dogs and I are land mammals. I don't feel much of anything merely looking at anything. We must move our bodies. You need land to move.

Wayne, Beauty is everywhere, even in society? That's a pretty thought, but it's the kind of thought for which I chew the Kodger out. It sounds good, and it might be worth hoping for, but it just doesn't accurately describe society most of the time.
XXXXX said…
Yes, a peaceful acceptance. I totally agree with your comments about the negative side of society. It is group think and its purpose is primarily survival which means justice isn't really a priority. I quite disagree with Wayne that there is any beauty in that.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I've enjoyed reading this blog, Glenn's, the Kodgers and have enjoyed them all.

I do think though that it is easy to judge/blame society, oneself, other-people, anyone. But in the end, doing so only makes one sad and unhappy.

Somewhere I read about the concept of Circle of Influence and Circle of concern as 2 concentric circles. The idea was that if you concentrate on your circle of influence (friends, family, things you can directly impact)..it will slowly expand..on the other hand focusing on the circle of concern (society, judging people, criticizing government, etc)..leads to eventually shrinking one's circle of influence.

So for me, I try to remember and and direct my attention to the inner circle.

Mike
Thanks, Mike, about the two concentric circles. I had never heard it put that way before.