'How to' camp is not something I write about much in this blog. It is an over-rated and unnecessary topic that You Tube channels discuss incessantly to make a buck. But this blog is not monetized.
There is an occasional exception to every rule. I was surprised when my 2-month-old van battery would not start the engine in 34 F weather. And it was nearing the Easter weekend in Nevada, with few car parts stores.
I have always had jumper cables, but in my camping location only one pickup truck went by per day! How would I wave him down? And would he even want to help me? That would mean a long wait for a tow truck. But what if I had had no cellphone signal?
Fortunately last year I bought one of those "portable jump starters," that is, a battery powered jump starter. There are a zillion models to choose from. I was surprised how easily it started my engine. What a relief!
Because I could safely travel, I kept going north on my migrational loop until I found an AutoZone that tested the battery as "Bad", and thus got a free replacement battery.
If you don't have one of these portable jump starters, get one.
![]() |
| [Redacted] Peak, Nevada |


Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.