Skip to main content

What Is It that Makes a Wildflower Interesting?

 What a great wildflower season there should be this March, in the desert.  Of course, a snowbird may leave before the wildflower season in order to escape the heat.  But the wildflowers can be impressive.  A couple years ago I wallowed in desert poppies at a well-known place near Tucson:


The long-suffering reader knows that I am prone to anti-tourist snobbery.  But still, who won't admit that standard tourist-industry memes at well-known locations feels too much like 'consumption' rather than 'experience?'  And does it really do you any good to see 10 million identical specimens of a certain flower or tree?

What happened yesterday was at the opposite end of the numerical spectrum.  In perfect -- that is, mildly chilly -- weather, my little dog and I were biking along, on a dirt two-track.  We were climbing.  We were huffing and puffing.  And I wasn't exactly sure it was the correct route.  Then this surprised me:


It was the first purple flower of the winter.  There were only a few of them.

I was fluttering my eyelashes over this to a degree that would mystify most people. It is tempting to apologize for making such a big deal out of such a small thing.  In fact, I should be happy that I am doing something right.

Comments

  1. We enjoyed checking out the Desert Wildflowers. There seemed to be a different variety with every turn.
    The Canadian Snowbirds head back in April in order to do their Income Tax Returns.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.