Skip to main content

Motion IS Important in a Landscape

Although I have not hunted since high school, the hunters driving by camp at 0530 are my soulmates, in a sense.  And it is a nice feeling.  Who else besides hunters gets going early in the morning?  The typical camper shows no sign of life until 10 a.m., an unconscionable sin.

But hunters are good for something else: their example might correct me on what I said in the last post.  It isn't right to argue that 99.9999% of the pixels in your viewscape are motionless, therefore motion is unimportant.  In fact, the tiny minority of moving pixels is vitally important.  Just ask the hunters or predators!

There was quite a bit of inbound traffic on evening.  Somebody explained to me that another hunting season was starting.  They didn't have to tell me.


The tiniest flick of ear or tail is noticeable in a landscape of stationary pixels.  That works for prey as well as predators.  Deer act so alert and intelligent at the beginning of hunting season that they are almost funny.  They let me get so close on the mountain bike.  Who needs a shoulder cannon? -- I could do some damage with a sharp rock!  

We were going along the Rim Road until we finally stopped where it started to descend on a rocky road.  It was a good place to rest.  Two ravens were managing to play with 'ridge lift' at the edge of the cliff, despite the wind at the bike being only 5 mph.  Maybe if I played around with the camera settings on the phone, and selected "Spot Focus," I could film a video of their graceful playfulness.


Then my little dog did her usual thing with noisily gulping water out of her dish.  I get so much pleasure watching dogs drink water.

It's great that the smoke has cleared up some.  A day or two ago it looked like this:

No photo editing.

Just one more example of the crucial importance of a tiny morsel of movement: think of how the stoolie was finally discovered in the classic movie, Stalag 17.  At the moment you can stream this movie for free at tubitv.com.  The adblocker of the Brave browser works well on tubitv.com.

Comments