It doesn't seem like such a great thing to get out of bed at 3:30, but oddly, it was. I had been listening/sleeping to an audiobook of Jack London's "White Fang," narrated with great skill by Seth Thompson. His voice and London's story had lulled me into a state of unusual satisfaction.
It was like sharing a campfire with friends, when the inane chatter of the early evening has worn down to the subdued voices of a later fire; quiet, dignified voices that imitate the steady breathing of a bed of orange coals. Here was a satisfaction that could never come from the written word.
Maybe it was anticipation of my upcoming trip that made me get up at 3:30. There is only one more day of waiting! It has always been like this, before a trip. Usually this mood hits at the end of summer, while anticipating a new autumn. But this time, I anticipated going north for the first time in years, thanks to a new tow vehicle.
It won't exactly be a new experience to me. But there will be disappointments and mistakes. I have not "planned" this trip to the north, of course. "Planning" defeats the whole purpose of travel. Planning is just another name for "consuming" a tourist experience.
Normally I don't care for being awake during non-daylight. But now it felt good. Outside the little window of my trailer was a full moon. I listened for the haunting sounds of a coyote.
It was like sharing a campfire with friends, when the inane chatter of the early evening has worn down to the subdued voices of a later fire; quiet, dignified voices that imitate the steady breathing of a bed of orange coals. Here was a satisfaction that could never come from the written word.
Maybe it was anticipation of my upcoming trip that made me get up at 3:30. There is only one more day of waiting! It has always been like this, before a trip. Usually this mood hits at the end of summer, while anticipating a new autumn. But this time, I anticipated going north for the first time in years, thanks to a new tow vehicle.
It won't exactly be a new experience to me. But there will be disappointments and mistakes. I have not "planned" this trip to the north, of course. "Planning" defeats the whole purpose of travel. Planning is just another name for "consuming" a tourist experience.
Normally I don't care for being awake during non-daylight. But now it felt good. Outside the little window of my trailer was a full moon. I listened for the haunting sounds of a coyote.
![]() |
| from FineArtAmerica.com |

Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.