I'm glad I have persisted through Mark Twain's "Roughing It." The trick is to just skip the 'humorous tales'. He was camped near Lake Tahoe with some fellow travelers:
This is all so strange, considering the objective conditions of camping. I don't mean physical discomfort. I mean overcrowding, noise, hosts/volunteers who are Barney Fife wannabees, music, generators, car doors slamming all night, late arrivers, reservations, fees, anti-dog rules, rules, and more rules!
How do you explain this?: it was a perfect morning here. I asked a camper if there was any way it could be more perfect. He said, "Well yea, I could have slept-in an hour later." I was appalled.
I didn't ask him what I was thinking: considering all the time you spent driving here and back, and all the time spent packing and unpacking, why didn't you just stay home and sleep-in many hours later, if sleeping-in is your idea of the perfect weekend?
But here I am getting close to my annual sermon about 'Taking a stay-cation this year instead of a camping vacation.'
It was a hard, wearing, toilsome journey, but it had its bright side; for after each day was done and our wolfish hunger appeased with a hot supper of fried bacon, bread, molasses and black coffee, the pipe-smoking, song- singing and yarn-spinning around the evening camp-fire in the still solitudes of the desert was a happy, care-free sort of recreation that seemed the very summit and culmination of earthly luxury. It is a kind of life that has a potent charm for all men, whether city or country-bred. We are descended from desert-lounging Arabs, and countless ages of growth toward perfect civilization have failed to root out of us the nomadic instinct. We all confess to a gratified thrill at the thought of “camping out.”It is quite a mystery, this strange popularity of "camping out." A couple generations after Twain wrote, a tribe of celebrity campers formed around Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, and Harvey Firestone.
This is all so strange, considering the objective conditions of camping. I don't mean physical discomfort. I mean overcrowding, noise, hosts/volunteers who are Barney Fife wannabees, music, generators, car doors slamming all night, late arrivers, reservations, fees, anti-dog rules, rules, and more rules!
How do you explain this?: it was a perfect morning here. I asked a camper if there was any way it could be more perfect. He said, "Well yea, I could have slept-in an hour later." I was appalled.
I didn't ask him what I was thinking: considering all the time you spent driving here and back, and all the time spent packing and unpacking, why didn't you just stay home and sleep-in many hours later, if sleeping-in is your idea of the perfect weekend?
But here I am getting close to my annual sermon about 'Taking a stay-cation this year instead of a camping vacation.'

Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.