Skip to main content

"Almost" Dropping Out of the Internet

Last month I went through my 5 Gigabyte allowance with Verizon for the first time. In fairness to the great oligopolist of the aether, they did notify me at the 5 GB limit, three days before the monthly clock was to be reset.

This motivated me to go on a complete fast. The month ended with a usage of 5.010 Gigabytes, or something ridiculously close to 5.000. Would the jerks charge me $10 for going over the limit? I assumed that they would, despite the fact that I go under the limit by 1.3 Gigabytes on most months. (And because this is conventional, nobody gets angry about it.)

The three day internet fast felt so morally redeeming! (It's not for nothing that fasting has been a big part of the religious tradition for millennia.) It fired up my ambition to "cut the (ethereal) cord," and save $53 per month. But this is probably just an empty bluff. 

But what if they really did charge extra for the microscopic bit of overage? Wouldn't anger make me carry through with terminating the service? Anger is a "negative" emotion according to Valium Capsule Nation [*]. They fancy themselves positive thinkers, but they are unwilling to see a positive value in anger: it can be a tool that helps you take on something really difficult.

But they didn't bill me for the microscopic overage! Ah well, maybe decisions based on anger are not good, in general. But this one would have been.

Thus I continue to live in sin. No matter how techno-narcissistic our culture becomes, how many gadget ads you see, how many more Gigabytes move around at how many more Gigahertz, there is still no better assessment of the Information Age than that made by Henry David Thoreau, in "Walden":
"...so with a hundred "modern improvements"; there is an illusion about them; there is not always a positive advance...
Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end, an end which it was already but too easy to arrive at; as railroads lead to Boston or New York. We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate."
______________________________________

[*] My term for that motley collection of nambie-pambies, nervous nellies and worry-worts, effeminate New Agers, pop psychology magazine readers, brainwashees of motivational gurus, and people dependent on any kind of religious crutch.

Comments

edlfrey said…
You can set Usage Alerts at 50%, 75%, 90% and 100%. Verizon will then send you an email when each level is reached. I have had small overages and have been billed less than $1.00 each time. If you were not billed there must be some rounding involved before you are billed.
That's right, but I would prefer a notice at 95% and 99%.
Teri said…
I just bought a T-mobile hotspot and signed up for a 3gb plan for $30 a month, I heard that starting in January they will allow unused data to rollover to the next month - but it will expire in a year. I am cutting back on data usage and will see how this works. I also threaten to dump the whole internet thing, but we all know that will never happen.
I would prefer to have a down-sized internet plan like yours, but T-mobile would only be adequate along freeway and in big cities -- is that correct?

The Straight Talk plan at Walmart is also worth considering.

I wonder how acceptable it would be to park outside the library. Most libraries have gotten quite good about leaving their Wi-Fi on all night. I can't tolerate McDonald's for more than 15 minutes, with all that background noise. Laundromats have gotten better the last couple years.